Saturday 29 June 2019

Sociology Optional Strategy| Pradeep Singh (AIR 93, CSE 2018)

Sociology Optional Strategy| Pradeep Singh (AIR 93, CSE 2018)

Strategy in his own words-


Sociology Optional Strategy| Pradeep Singh (AIR 93, CSE 2018)
How I prepared Sociology in 3 months?
Hey friends, optional is the most crucial part of CSE mains and therefore I would like to share my strategy for Sociology optional.
I scored 307 marks in the optional just after devoting 3 months.
Sociology Optional Strategy| Pradeep Singh (AIR 93, CSE 2018)
Sociology Paper 1 – 171
Sociology Paper 2 – 136
I had not studied Sociology till 3rd June 2018 (the day of 2018 prelims). But I had opted for Sociology after considering the following factors:
1. It never lets you sink. (Average is high)
2. Syllabus is relatable (everyone is Sociologist) and can be covered in limited time.
3. I saw the Previous Year papers and I found them solvable.
4. Guidance is easily available.

I joined Vikash Ranjan Sir’s classes for Sociology after Prelims. I can’t thank Vikash Sir enough. He advised me to devote more time to optional for 2 months and simultaneously preparing for GS. I did offline class for 1 month and after that I took videos of Sir’s classes. I watched 2-3 lectures a day and covered Sociology in 2 months. After that, I revised the notes and started solving test series. I gradually improved marks in tests and increased my score.
I divide the Preparation phase into 4 parts-
1. Understanding the Concepts and making Notes: Key thing is to see the syllabus and sub topics.
Understand the topic. Make notes on every topic mentioned in the syllabus.

2.Making Synopsis on every topic: Sir advised me to have a ready reference material. Once you’ve made class notes and studied a book for a particular topic, try to summarize the  content (Class notes+Book).
I had completed the Synopsis making by the mid of August and then I started solving PYPs and Test Series.

3. Revision: After making the Synopsis notes, Revise the Notes again and again. Once you’re done with Revision part, Start solving Previous Year Papers and Test series.
4. Test and Improvement: Give the test after going through the synopsis and see the scope of improvement. Work on structure and presentation of answer.
By following this approach for every chapter, you’ll cover the entire syllabus and you would be ready for exam.
My Sources-
1. Vikash Sir’s class notes.
2. Printed Notes given by Vikash Sir.
3. Test Series material.
4. Previous year Solved Papers.
5. NCERTs (11th and 12th).
6. Self made notes of Current affairs related to Sociology. (Caste, Tribe, women, village, family, urban areas, education, ethnic and racial issues, etc)


Key points to Remember-
1. Short notes on every topic should be ready.
2. Test series should be the medium to improve upon the mistakes.
3. Attempt all questions and manage time efficiently.
4. Limit the sources and Do multiple Revisions.
5. Use the Sociological concepts in the answer.
6. Sociological dimensions should be explored in writing the answer.
Dimensions are Family, Caste, Religion, Education, Tribe, women, Vulnerable Sections, Rural and Urban areas, etc.

Wishing you all the best. May Bhagwan be with all!!
Credits- Mudit Jain Sir

Pradeep Singh IAS Quora- Quora

Pradeep Singh IAS Instagram- Insta

Pradeep Singh IAS Facebook- FB

ALSO READ-